4/01/2012

A to Z Blog Challenge Beer Review - Arrogant Bastard Ale (Oaked) by Stone Brewing



Brew: Arrogant Bastard Ale
Brewer: Stone Brewing Co
ABV: 7.2%
Opinion: Good Beer!


I've been putting this one off for a while, even though it's my A post... (As you may have guessed, I didn't start at the beginning with these... I skipped around a lot. In fact, I'm about half done.) I've had Arrogant Bastard before, and it was really good. Now, this one is "oaked", but I put that at the end of the title because otherwise it wouldn't work as an A post..

But oaked, means aged in oak barrels, like bourbon, which I also like... I have big expectations for this brew. I wanted to wait for a night when I was alone, the TV was off, the wife was at work, and American Idol wasn't on. ...what, shut up.


Anyway, tonight is that night.

I am nothing if not honest about myself, so anything that proclaims itself as an Arrogant Bastard is already something that I respect. I don't particularly LIKE arrogant bastards, and I've know many. But none of them were aware of what they were. I think perhaps had they known, I might have found them a little more bearable.

And here, I grab the church-key, and pop the cap.

I smell hops, and something similar to whiskey, which I would have to assume is the oak aging. Of course, then again, maybe I'm just looking for it... Carrying on.

The hops hit first, bitter, with just a twinge of the alcohol, as it is higher than usual. The maltieness comes out in the finish, and in the after taste, balancing it nicely. It's somewhat thick on the tongue, strong grapefruit flavor.

Not a chugger, this beer is best enjoyed leisurely. If you're looking to smash beers into your face, get something cheaper and lighter. This beer is one to be appreciated, not pounded.

Very nice beer, full of character. Stone Brewing does it again.

9 comments:

  1. I know next to nothing about beer so maybe I'll learn something good this month and find one I'll like. I do love all the names though :) I'm making beer cupcakes for my C post. Should be...interesting.

    Anna @ Herding Cats & Burning Soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that would be great! People need to know there's more to beer than just the fizzy yellow mass produced swill. I don't particularly like that stuff at all. Good luck with the cupcakes!

      Delete
  2. Hi, checking out your blog for the A-Z Challenge. Great idea for a theme!! Wish I was a beer drinker, I think I could learn a lot from you. Good luck with the Challenge!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish you were too. Hell, I wish everyone was, there'd be a lot less yucky beer! :D

      Thanks for stopping by! I'll be by your site soon, I'm sure. I'm making the rounds now.

      Delete
  3. what a fun theme (burp!)
    there sure are a lot to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah! Craft Brewed beer took a HUGE upswing over the last year.

      Delete
  4. That beer sounds good and you did well describing it. If you really enjoyed it maximally, I think you would like some of the belgium iambic beers.
    Beer styles can be more complex than fine wines ie. there is more to beer than just pilsners and the popularly-known beers Bud, Coors et al.
    Thanks for a fascinating blog Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly try some, although for this challenge, I didn't happen to. It's a genre that I've typically stayed away from, and I don't really know why. I don't recall ever having one... But I shall!

      Delete
  5. Great theme, Matt. I like big beers and I cannot lie, and I'm a huge fan of the Bastard. Not sure what area you are in, but if you want to play with delicious craft-brewed Belgians, search for Rockmill Brewing near Lancaster, Ohio. I promise you won't be disappointed with either the Dubbel or the Trippel. Oh - and he's aging in oak, also.

    Stopping by on the A to Z Challenge from Debbie & Harry's Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete