4/06/2012

#atozchallenge Beer Review - Founder's Breakfast Stout


Breakfast Stout
Brew:  Stout
Brewer:  Founders Brewing
ABV: 8.3%
Opinion: Great Beer! 

I love this bottle. Doesn't the picture just make you wanna drink it??

I was very interested in this brew, being a stout fan (and a fan of stouts! HAR!) I thought it sounded good. It's stout made with chocolate, coffee and oatmeal. Who wouldn't love that?!

Interesting story: I once had an idea that Coffee flavored oatmeal would be a fine thing. I emailed the Quaker oats guy, and suggested it. I said you could go so far as to have french vanilla, hazelnut, etc. I was told that they have people who are paid to think of those things, but thanks for my interest, and they suggested I buy more product... I thought for sure a month later they'd have the coffee oatmeal on the shelves or something, but still no.

Anyway, who needs the Quaker oats dude, when you have Founders?! They figured out the same genius scheme and added chocolate!

I cracked this baby open, and immediately the smell of coffee found my nose. I eagerly, yet carefully poured. The head came up about an inch and a half. Twas a brown color, much like the foam from a cola. Still the smell of coffee dominated, which is fine with me, cause I love coffee.

As it sat, I continued to sniff, in between typing paragraphs here, and the chocolate became vaguely apparent. Perhaps it was there the whole time, but I was over powered by the coffee smell. Either way, my mouth is watering.

Wow. This beer is amazing. There's so much going on here. The coffee is definitely the most prominent flavor especially in the first of a sip. The chocolate and oats flavors come out in the finish. There's a little alcohol heat left on the tongue, as it is 8.3%. There's a little bitterness in burp.

This is such a terrific beer! Smooth and tasty. I could drink these all day. Or... at least for a couple hours or so.

HIGHLY recommended.

5 comments:

  1. I love learning about the different flavours they put in beer now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry,

      You can really get creative as a brewer. There's a place out here that makes a bacon beer... I've never had it, but I swear I will someday! A friend of mine actually brewed something using Captain Crunch Berries in the boil. Said it came out good.

      Delete
  2. Wow a beer tasting like chocolate and coffee! That is never heard of, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nellie, I'd seen them before, but hadn't had them until this challenge. I have to say, it's one of my favorite combinations of ALL time.

      Delete
  3. That's really quite interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of coffee/chocolate flavored beer. Love the label too. I think this might be one I need to hunt down and try :)

    Anna@ Herding Cats & Burning Soup

    ReplyDelete