4/18/2011

Opa - Opa (And Octoberfest by Sam Adams) A to Z Blog Challenge

Yikes! I missed a day again... Could have sworn I had this post written already, but here it is "O" day, and N is still up. SO here goes a double-header. (That means lots of extra foam at the top... "head" you know.)


Opa - Opa is a Steakhouse / Brewery up in Southampton MA. Gotta be one of the best combinations right there, steak and beer. If only they were a pig farm / laundromat, I'd move in.

Like the Berkshire Brewing stuff I've blogged about, this stuff comes in GRRROWLERS. I don't think I mentioned this before, but you get probably four to six glasses of beer out of a growler, and when it's done, the deposit on THESE growlers is TWO BUCKS. I can't tell you how awesome it was to bring a few of these back and have enough to get another growler.

They've got a whole bunch of different brews, but the Raspberry wheat is interesting to me, cause the package store I go to up the street actually had that brew created. I went in one day, and the owner looked at my friend and I and said "You guys have been here before right?" Heh, does the pope sh*t in the woods?? He gave us a growler of it for free to sample. It definitely was NOT my cup of tea, but on it's own merits, it was a good beer... Very flowery, like a strong jasmine tea. I'm not big on wheat beers either, but hell a free grrrrrowler of beer can taste like liver and farts for all I care, I'll drink it.

Not to mention the fact that I felt like a freakin champ for walking into a liquor store and getting free beer. I DO feel silly when I say the name though... Not fair to make people say things as silly as "opa-opa". I bet it's easy to order when you're drunk though. Especially if you have a New England accent.

Second "o" beer is Sam Adams Octoberfest. I loved this beer last year. I didn't get to have too much of it cause it's a seasonal, and wasn't around much longer after I'd found it. I checked over at beeradvocate.com where beer snobs like to condescend on another that isn't really weird or amazing, but it's not on there, and for the life of me I don't remember what it was I liked about it, but I do remember marveling at it for about a month. Unfortunately, that's the best I can do for you. I don't remember what it tastes like or why I liked it... but it was great. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment