4/01/2011

Amstel Light - A to Z Blog Challenge

Amstel Light is a light beer from Amsterdam, hence the motto "One Dam Good Beer! If you can get their website to work, good for you, cause I can't. let me know if there's anything good there. I'd hoped to find a little blurb of info there that I could post here, but I'll just have to wing it.

Now, I could have gone the easy way out here and used "Anheuser Busch" for A, but I can't spell Anheuser. Still though, I feel I owe it to them to at least recall an episode of "Married With Children". Naturally, I can't find a video of it, but I did find this transcript.

Here's the part I'm talking about:

AL- [unwrapping his gum] I'll pick my own name, huh? My new name will be um... [looks at the gum wrapper] ... Bazooka Joe.

JEFFERSON - Damn! Wish I'd thought of that before I decided on [picks up a beer can] Anheuser-Busch. Yep, the Buschmeister's going to Seattle. Join up with some friends who have a lobster boat and I'm gonna be The Mighty Fisherman. How 'bout you, Al?

AL - Going to LA. Gonna be The Big White Hooter Hunter. [they pick up their beer glasses] God, life is gonna be great for us!

They clink glasses and begin to sip but stop when they hear the announcer.

P.A. - Bus to Seattle now leaving, gate eleven.

Al and Jefferson pause for moment, then put down their glasses and stand up.

AL - Back to the wives?

JEFFERSON - Yep, back to wives.

AL - But if is she has another baby in the eighteen years, I swear I'm going!

JEFFERSON - Me too!

The dancing girl returns.

AL - I'm going home... Can I have my dollar back?


As far as beer goes, I find Amstel Light to be at best "not bad". As far as light beer goes, it's very good. I like this beer on  hot summer days when a stiff buzz is just as important as staying hydrated. It's a good "drinking beer" as opposed to a chugging beer like Bud, or a sipping beer like Harpoon.

It's very low in calories, and carbs and a light beer should be. It is an import, so it's a little more expensive too. For folks like me who prefer a full bodied non-light beer, it's like someone who is used to whole milk drinking 2%. It's not bad, but not quite perfect either.

I was trying to find a video of my favorite commercial of theirs, but naturally I couldn't find THAT video clip either. The commercial featured two guys, who were supposedly brewers. They looked abashed and apologetic. "We're sorry," they said. "we didn't know light beer was supposed to suck."

Here's one that's just as amusing though, and features a good song too!


I don't have any raunchy tales of drunken foolishness after a night of Amstel light, so I can't entertain you with any recounting, unfortunately. The reason for this is that the alcohol content is on the lower side, coming in at 3.5%, in contrast to Bud Light's 4.2 I use Bud Light as a basis for comparison because I'm sure most of us DO have raunchy tales of drunken foolishness after a night of Bud Light. For those of you who don't, I don't know what else to compare it to for you, except to say that in the US, the alcoholic proof is twice the percentage... So 3.5% is 7 proof... 80 proof and it's flammable. For more on this, go here.

If you're looking for a beer that tastes like a beer, but you're watching your weight, or can't be trusted with a higher octane beer, give this a shot.

11 comments:

  1. I like a good pale ale. Have never been a fan of dark beers. Good post and good beginning.


    Gregg Metcalf
    Colossians 1:28-29

    Gospel-driven Disciples

    ReplyDelete
  2. All depends on what I'm doing. I definitely go through phases. One of my favorite beers of all time is Bass ale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, beer stories. Where to begin. Nothing with Amstel light though. Glad I stopped drinking beer a long time ago. Did too many stupid things. Never got caught though LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol well, I'm glad you never got caught, even those getting caught makes for some of the best stories! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came here from the A to Z Challenge, and I shouldn't have! Reading about beer while at work on a Friday morning is pretty much torture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Try writing about beer while at work! :) Heading to your blog now. =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stuff is brewed near here, but I don't touch it :)

    I'm a Guinness drinker, and aparently women don't do that. As if I care :)

    *waves hi!* fellow A to Z-er here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beer is good.. but I dunno about Amstel light ;) I'm more of an IPA or Black Lager kinda girl myself--- or being a Texas dweller, Lone Star if I'm feeling cheap.

    Cindy
    Nesting

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with ya Cindy, IPA is my drug of choice these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good start. I think I've drank this sometime in my life. I would certainly choose it over Budweiser.


    Contrary to my usual practice of subscribing to comments, to save time during challenge I will not be doing so during April. If you want to respond to my comment , please email me directly from your email notification for the comment.
    Thanks.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete