4/04/2011

Corona - A to Z Blog Challenge

You'll have to forgive me for this post, as it comes pretty darned close to main-stream beer. I wanted to do Ciderjack, but was hesitant since it's not exactly a beer. Turns out it's not made anymore anyway, so I had to turn my sights elsewhere. The next obvious choice was Coors, which... bleh.

Corona is a popular beer among the "Fizzy Yellow Beer" drinkers, (a phrase used by Stone Brewers in promotion of their "Arrogant Bastard" brew... Wish I'd thought about that beer when doing "a"... Ah well.) I don't particularly like Corona, and I'm sure I could have found a different craft brew to talk about, but I chose Corona, because I think there's enough stuff to say about it.

Corona is a popular alternative to beers like bud light, though I don't find it much different. The major difference is that it's common for the drinker to add a slice of lime. While I'll admit, adding the lime does make this beer taste better, I would submit that just drinking a better tasting beer would be the way to go instead.

Watching Jeopardy last week, there was a lass who said she and a friend or two had gotten scurvy in college. She said once they were diagnosed, they added limes to their Coronas and it went away. So, I guess that's one benefit of drinking Corona...

I do have to give credit where credit is due though. Through clever marketing the brewers have convinced people that drinking Corona = paradise. When I think of Corona, I think of beaches and limes and bathing suits, and Hawaiian shirts. Because of these associations, I can't hate Corona, even though I think it tastes rain water with a twist of lime.

Here's a prime example:

Beer Advocate has the same sort of reviews, one person saying it tastes like "carbonated water and dirty coins.". Marketing aside though, if you love beer, I suggest you don't bother with Corona. 

The best thing about this beer is the lime wedge. This, I think, is a sad testament. 

12 comments:

  1. I've actually never had a Corona... I've never had warm piss either, but I've had Coors and I consider them equal!

    - allison writes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind Corona, but there are a few beers I'd drink first. :P

    Just wanted to mention maybe you wanna link to your blog from your blogger profile - the only way I could find this blog was by the link you very helpfully left in your comment, but if you happened not to do that sometime people wouldn't be able to find you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, I just clicked the 'surprise me' and voila, here I am! YUM...beer...Homebrew rules!

    There's some great microbreweries around rather than the big companies and they're well worth visiting when you've got a spare hour or two to enjoy a meal with a taster paddle.
    Sue@JumpingAground

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a Corona either.
    But I am not a fan of light beers like Bud Light so I am sure I wouldn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If handed a corona and given no other option, I'd drink it... but I'm very unlikely to pick one on my own. Even in a "beachy" environment, wanting a beer with lime, I'd choose a dos equis instead

    ReplyDelete
  6. "carbonated water and dirty coins" hahaha! I pretty much drink whatever somebody hands me, so I've consumed quite a few Coronas over time. But I agree that the idea of Corona is way better than the actual Corona---bravo, marketers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On a couple of occasions I have had a Corona and I did not notice at the time it tasted like rainwater with a lime. I will have to be more observant next time. I am more of a pale ale person in the beer line. I prefer a good solid body red wine. Interesting to read your evaluation.


    Gregg Metcalf
    Colossians 1:28-29

    Gospel-driven Disciples

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog. I am not a big drinker and until recently have not known much about beers either. As for Corona, last time I drank a couple, I regreted it. I have recently discovered the "real" beers. I visited Lagunitas Brewery a few weeks ago. I hope to read a review about one of their beers. I hear their new WTF is great! All I know is the brewery is dog friendly and my pup Charlene had a blast there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all!

    @Gregg Perhaps I have a unique kind of rain water around here... :D

    I have to agree, Red Wind is definitely a special sort of drink.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello fellow A-Z blogger! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think everything is better with lime, but I have never had a corona with or without it. I'm not much of a beer person... maybe I just haven't had the right beer.
    ~2

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. I'll tell you what, next time I get scurvy, I'll grab a Corona. Until then, I am sticking with my Stella Artois. Fantastic Post BTW!

    ReplyDelete