4/07/2011

Flemish Sour by Monk's Cafe - A to Z Blog Challenge

I'd never heard of a "Flemish Sour" before, but I saw it on the shelf while I scoured for an E beer, and grabbed it. I didn't realize there'd be many other "Flemish Sours" otherwise I probably would have kept looking.

Anyway, what a weird beer. I cracked it open, and I swear it smelled more like a red wine than a beer. I poured it in a glass, as is my way, and it was a dark redish brown, and still smelled very much like a sweet red wine. Well, hell if it doesn't taste like a sweet red wine, only sweeter. It's almost like a raspberry ginger ale, it's so fruity and sweet.

It's 5.5%, so it's not overly strong. If you have one of "those" friends who doesn't like beer and is unwilling to try anything that remotely tastes like beer, and you're trying to get him or her to develop a taste for beer, this might be a good one to start with. It's practically a wine cooler.

All in all, not a bad drink, but if I'm looking for a beer, it's definitely not going to cut it... It's like turkey bacon. Not bad, but not bacon.

The best part about this beer, if you zoom in, you'll see the price tag... It was $2.95 for this bottle. So far, the cheapest "single" beer I've bought for this challenge.

6 comments:

  1. 'If you have one of "those" friends' hahah I have SO many friends like that, so I wrote this down. Also, I didn't realize you were searching for beers specifically for this challenge! Very cool. I thought you were just a beer expert =)

    - allison writes

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to do my own A-Z beery challenge!
    (and I'd love to join you if you ever hear of a teacher like that again - vicious cruel brute)

    (hm that's strange your comment is in my mail, but not showing on the blog, I wonder why)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beer expert, no. I'm just a guy who loves beer and blogging. :)

    Strange about the comment being gone, I didn't delete anything. I just found the post I made about it, but the video clip is no longer available. But yeah, Marked the kid -20% for "being a loser", said it was a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great A to Z challenge. You seem to have picked a topic that would be VERY easy to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh. I was talking about this with my husband last night. He said the Flemish Sour he had was more on the sour side, not sweet. (He didn't tell me the maker.) On the other hand, he's not generally a fan of fruity beers, so he didn't like it much.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday.

    Erin's blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it similar to a Lambic? Sounds weird for sure...

    ReplyDelete