8/28/2013

Beer Review: Shipyard XXXX IPA

Brew Style: American Double / Imperial IPA
Brewer: http://www.shipyard.com
ABV: 9.25%
BrewNewb Opinion: Decent beer

I love a good presentation, and I thought the foil wrapping around the cap was a nice touch. I was rather surprised to notice, after cracking the cap, that it was actually a twist off. I don't know why this struck me as odd, and frankly I never really thought much about the fact that I apparently associate twist off caps with crappy beer, much like wine that comes in screw-cap bottles. 

It isn't an association I established consciously, and perhaps it's not a fair one. However, I can't seem to help it. There is no good rational reason for it, except that all the crappy beers use twist offs. Maybe in my head, the good beers decided not to, to further distance themselves from their crappy counter parts... Who knows. 

Anyway, this beer poured from the pint bottle into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass, a nice amber peachy color. This frothy head with a good lacing. 

The smell was a little surprising. It was a bit too complex, with too many hoppy smells coupled with the smell of the alcohol. (Which is hard to avoid at 9.25%!)

The taste, like the smell was a little bit of a disappointment to me. I love a solid IPA, but I feel like they tried to do too much with this one. Too many flavors, and too much ABV. I tasted mostly caramel malt and alcohol that completely dwarfed the various hops. I would have liked to see them use either fewer hops, for a strong hops flavor in one direction or another, or less alcohol. 

All in all, not a bad beer, though it's not what I expected out of an IPA. Perhaps a barleywine?  

5 comments:


  1. Saving energy and money is as simple as closing your curtains. You can do this by putting up blinds or curtains. Since your home will become cooler, you will not have to use the air conditioning that much. You will save both energy and money.Religion Bhajan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Offering Play Bazaar your leads an incentive can be a good move because it does often push customers off the fence and into a purchase. For instance, incentives that involve them buying something they already need can have them opt into your offer. Give them something to make them want to get your offer so you can generate a Satta King lot more leads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are trying to whiten your teeth try to increase the frequency with which you brush your teeth. For exampleif you are currently brushing once or twice daily try to increase it to two or there times daily focusing on times especially after meals and snacks. This will help whiten your smile. Satta King Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you attract good, hard workers to your network marketing website? You have to write to their needs and turn away low quality leads. Make sure to discuss that a day's hard work is what earns you money in your field, as people who want to get rich quick with no work will not like that idea and move on to another website. Let them be someone else's problem! Satta King Great Tips For Boosting Your Internet Marketing Success Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look to nature when you are in need of inspiration for your arts and crafts projects. Especially with regard to color, nature gives you many examples to emulate. satta king
    satta bazar

    ReplyDelete