11/01/2011

Woodchuck 802

I am continuing my research into hard cider tonight. I picked up a "Woodchuck 802" six pack.

This is a very pale version of the Amber I talked about before. About the same amount of carbonation, but a bit dryer, almost like the difference between Schweppes ginger ale and Canada dry. I like it, though I think I'd like anything I made to be just a shade dryer, maybe slightly more bubbly.

I still say a peanut butter sandwich would be the PERFECT compliment to hard apple cider.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear talk about cider, it should be mor e popular. Some people put a little cinnamon in it.
    To me Canada Dry and Schweppes ginger ale are very similar. I much prefer those imports (not talking about hard cider here) of ginger ale that have a little cayenne in them.
    Made Hard Cider once, used a wine yeast and it came out well with nice carbonation..
    Yeah, good with peanut butter sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I'm really kinda surprised it's not more popular than it is. It's one of those drinks that both beer drinkers and people who don't like beer can enjoy.

    I have to wonder how much that has to do with the lack of marketing, at least around here in New England. You never see commercials for cider.

    As for the ginger ale, I find the schwepps to be a little flatter and much more sweet than the Canada dry.

    I almost made ginger ale recently. I had a recipe for a (rather yucky) soup recipe that called for fresh ginger. I bought a whole root and had a lot left over. Unfortunately, it sat in the fridge and I forgot about it until it was too late.

    Many years ago, I had "ginger beer" which was non-alcoholic. I don't remember the brand or anything, but it was extremely carbonated, and had a real ginger bite that would burn a bit. That was an excellent ginger ale.

    ReplyDelete